For information on COVID-19, please visit the National Coronavirus website. Approved by the South African Government.
For information on COVID-19, please visit the National Coronavirus website. Approved by the South African Government.

Safety Information

This product contains paracetamol which may be fatal in overdose. In the event of overdosage or suspected overdose and notwithstanding the fact that the person may be asymptomatic, the nearest doctor, hospital or Poison Centre must be contacted immediately.

Dosages in excess of those recommended may cause severe liver damage. Patients suffering from liver or kidney disease should take paracetamol under medical supervision. Do not use continuously for more than 10 days without consulting a doctor. Consult a doctor if no relief is obtained from the recommended dosage. Store in a safe place out of reach of children.

KNOWN SYMPTOMS OF OVERDOSAGE AND PARTICULARS OF ITS TREATMENT:6

Prompt treatment is essential. In the event of an overdosage, consult a doctor immediately, or take the person directly to a hospital. A delay in starting treatment may mean that antidote is given too late to be effective. Evidence of liver damage is often delayed until after the time for effective treatment has lapsed. Susceptibility to paracetamol toxicity is increased in patients who have taken repeated high doses (greater than 5 -10 g/day) of paracetamol for several days, in chronic alcoholism, chronic liver disease, AIDS, malnutrition, and with the use of drugs that induce liver microsomal oxidation such as barbiturates, isoniazid, rifampicin, phenytoin and carbamazepine. Symptoms of paracetamol overdosage in the first 24 hours include pallor, nausea, vomiting, anorexia and possibly abdominal pain. Mild symptoms during the first two days of acute poisoning, do not reflect the potential seriousness of the overdosage.

Liver damage may become apparent 12 to 48 hours, or later after ingestion, initially by elevation of the serum transaminase and lactic dehydrogenase activity, increased serum bilirubin concentration and acute renal failure with acute tubular necrosis may develop even in the absence of severe liver damage. Abnormalities of glucose metabolism and metabolic acidosis may occur. Cardiac arrhythmias have been reported.

N-acetylcysteine should be administered to all cases of suspected overdose as soon as possible preferably within eight hours of overdosage, although treatment up to 36 hours after ingestion may still be of benefit, especially if more than 150 mg/kg of paracetamol was taken. An initial dose of 150 mg/kg N-acetylcysteine in 200 ml dextrose injection given intravenously over 15 minutes, followed by an infusion of 50 mg/kg in 500 ml dextrose injection over the next four hours, and then 100 mg/kg in 1 000 ml dextrose injection over the next sixteen hours. The volume of intravenous fluid should be modified for children.

For detailed information refer to package insert.